Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools and the Water Bottle

First of all I would like to start out this April 1st by saying that I absolutely hate this day...by that I mean April fool's day. Just for a second consider how ridiculous this "holiday" really is. You go around all day playing jokes on people, lying to them, or making up stories about things that have happened that really have not. Why? In an attempt to make people laugh? We can't tell jokes the other 364 days of the year? I don't need a day in the year where I have to question literally everything I hear, or that someone tells me because I don't know if they are telling me the truth or not. I hate April fool's in the U.S., and now I also hate it in Mexico too.

Ever since my arrival in Mexico I have been playing a "game." I have this water bottle that I came to Mexico with that I literally carry around everywhere with me. Unlike in the U.S., when your thirsty in Mexico you can't just go to a water fountain and take a drink. The water here is not purified, cleaned, etc. It is very dangerous for natives of the country to even drink the water. Also, buying water from the stores can get very expensive. So I carry a reusable water bottle with me, and refill it wherever there is a safe water station. This water bottle has been through hell. It has been left in offices, classrooms, houses, etc. Every time that I have lost it however, it always makes its way back to me. So my goal for the next 5 weeks is to make sure this water bottle makes it back to the U.S. with me. From that point forward it will forever be know as: "THE water bottle of Mexico."







No comments:

Post a Comment