Saturday, February 12, 2011

Personal Responsibility

One of the toughest things for me while I have been in Mexico has been living and sharing a room with someone. Freshmen year, it seemed to be much easier to live and share a room with my roommate. Living independently sophomore year and first semester of junior year allowed me to have the independence and responsibility that comes with having your own space. Now in Mexico, I'm having to get used to living like I did freshmen year, and I will admit its difficult.

I like to clean my own space, with my own cleaning supplies. I like to exercise being a 21 year old college student, and take responsibility for my own belongings. You might be wondering what story is behind this post? This Saturday I was rudely awoken at 8am to maintenance people prying into my room. They asked me to empty my fridge out so that they could do the "monthly cleaning." Why a monthly cleaning? More importantly why do we as college students need to have people come into our room EVERY morning and pick up all our trash, wash our dishes, clean our toilets and showers, sweep and mop our floors, clean our appliances, and dust our electronics? I just feel like I'm in college now, and so are the rest of the people I'm living with...I don't need someone to come in and clean my stuff. I can handle it all on my own.

Most people might really enjoy having people clean their room and living spaces but not me. I'm proud of myself for that. I feel like its a sign of maturity and responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment