Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Viajes, internados, y más!

So this is the first time that I have posted in a couple weeks, but in my defense I have been pretty busy! Since I last posted I have traveled to Pachuca, Real del Monte, Monte Albán, and Oaxaca City, Mexico. The past two weekends have been spent sleeping in hotels/hostels and carrying around a heavy backpack while sightseeing. I REALLY enjoying traveling, but I'm looking forward to spending a full weekend in the Cholula/Puebla area.

A week and a half ago I spent the entire week locked up in my suite sick. I had a nasty cold that developed into a sinus infection. That was not fun at all to say the least. I was really proud of myself throughout my period of sickness. I was able to go to the health clinic, tell the doctors and nurses exactly what was wrong with me, explain my health history, and go to pick up my prescriptions. I think for me that was a really important turning point to my time in Mexico. At that moment I was extremely independent, and realized that I know more Spanish than I think I know! It definitely gave me lots of confidence to tackle anything that comes my way the rest of the semester. Today I feel much much better.

I have certainly learned a lot from my travels so far. I always thought that motion sickness was something that people made up...NOT TRUE! I have driven long distances, and traveled by plane numerous times and never had motion sickness. Last weekend as I was traveling to Oaxaca City I got a nasty nasty case. Oaxaca is located about 4.5 hours southwest of Puebla in the Sierre Madre mountains. Needless to say the bus ride up to Oaxaca was filled with turns and hills for at least 2.5 hours straight. The ride back to Puebla was much more pleasant...after taking three Dramamine and sleeping nearly the entire way back :)

Recently, I was hired as an intern for VisionIT (www.visionit.com). They are a global consulting and staffing firm with many offices in the United States, Mexico, and India. The company works with numerous businesses most of which are Fortune 500 companies providing consulting and matching potential candidates for IT positions. They have an office locally here in Puebla. I wasn't expecting to have an internship while I was here in Mexico, but when the opportunity presented itself I knew I couldn't turn it down. I always felt like there was a purpose for me coming to Mexico, and that it would somehow advance my career, but never knew how. I'm really happy to be interning now because I know that this amazing experience will help open up doors to future jobs.

Its weird because I don't feel like I have been in Mexico for that long. I feel like I adjust more and more everyday. Today I definitely feel much more like a citizen or normal person than I ever did when I first got here. That is good. At the same time it all is so surreal to me sometimes. I find myself sometimes just dazing off when walking or when someone is talking to me, and then I'm brought back to reality. Sometimes I wake up and forget where I'm at which is really funny. I never understood how many people I know end up staying here longer than they planned, but now I realize why. Coming from uptight, time crazy America one can't help but to fall in the love with the very laid back, nonchalant, Mexican life. Plus, the culture and people are just amazing here and make you feel  loved and welcome.

-Chrís



Ruins at Monte Albán

Me in Oaxaca

Santo Domingo church in Oaxaca

Oaxaca

More ruins

Even more ruins 

Fountain in Real del Monte...drunk man helping himself to the fountain water in background

Some of the Valpo crew!

Me in Pachuca

No comments:

Post a Comment